Australian beach resumes operation after tragic shark attack


The popular surf beach on Australia’s Gold Coast where a man was killed in a shark attack on Tuesday has re-opened as the hunt continues to find the great white believed to be responsible.

The Gold Coast Council announced on Thursday that the 22-kilometre stretch of beach near the border with New South Wales would “reopen this morning but surveillance by chopper, drone and lifeguards will continue until the weekend.”

“We advise all beachgoers to exercise extreme caution with baitfish in the water,” the council warned in a tweet.

The incident at Queensland’s Greenmount Beach on Tuesday was the first fatal shark attack on the Gold Coast in 60 years.

Ambulances were called to the beach at around 5 pm (0700 GMT) after a surfer sustained significant leg injuries from a shark bite.

The 46-year-old man, identified by local media as Nick Slater, was pronounced dead when he was brought to shore.

Three tiger sharks have been caught near the beach since the attack, the Queensland Department of Fisheries said on Thursday.

The fisheries department said the 3.4-metre tiger shark caught on Thursday morning was found on a drum line during a normal service run of Shark Control Program (SCP) equipment at Snapper Rocks, close to where the attack occurred.

It is suspected that the man was attacked by a great white shark, but Fisheries Minister Mark Furner on Wednesday said that “experts were still working to confirm what species of shark was involved.”

Greenmount Beach has shark control nets and other SCP equipment in place, which Furner has said is regularly checked.

The last time a surfer was attacked by a shark in the area was at Nobby Beach in 2012, but he survived.

According to Sydney’s Taronga Zoo Shark Attack File, Tuesday’s incident will be the seventh fatal shark in Australian waters this year, making 2020 one of the worst years for shark attacks on record.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here