Britain and France on Monday signed an agreement worth 72.2 million euros ($74.5 million) over the coming year to ramp up efforts to stop illegal migrants from making perilous journeys across the Channel.
So far this year more than 40,000 people have crossed the Channel in small boats, up from 28,526 last year, putting pressure on new British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak and interior minister Suella Braverman to do more to stem the flow.
Last month Braverman said Britain faced an "invasion" from people arriving in small boats, as the government was criticised for conditions at an overcrowded migrant processing centre in southern England.
"It is in the interests of both the UK and French governments to work together to solve this complex problem," Braverman said in a statement, after meeting French interior minister Gerald Darmanin in Paris on Monday morning.
"There are no quick fixes, but this new arrangement will mean we can significantly increase the number of French gendarmes patrolling the beaches in northern France and ensure UK and French officers are working hand in hand to stop the people smugglers."
Darmanin tweeted to say France and Britain were, with this deal, strengthening their cooperation against illegal immigration.
But Franck Dhersin, the mayor of Teteghem in northern France, told BBC Radio that migrants would try again if they are stopped.
"They don't want to stay in Belgium, in Germany or in France. They want to go to England (to) see members of their family," he said.
The British government said the multi-year deal would see a 40% increase in the number of UK-funded officers patrolling French beaches in the next five months.