Buddy Valastro, celebrity baker and star of Cake Boss, has revealed he’s been involved in a ‘terrible accident’ after his hand was impaled by a metal rod at his private bowling alley.
Valastro’s hand got stuck in the bowling pinsetter – that’s the machine that sets bowling pins in their original position – a representative for the star confirmed to Fox News.
His rep explained that a malfunction with the pinsetter caused Valastro’s hand to become lodged and compressed inside the machine.
The spokesperson said: “Unable to remove his hand, he can see a 1 1/2 inch metal rod slowly and repeatedly impale his hand three times between his ring finger and middle finger.”
More than five minutes passed and 43-year-old Valstro found he was still unable to remove his hand.
Eventually, his son cut him free from the machine using a reciprocating saw, which was used to slice through the metal rod.
After being rushed to Morristown Memorial hospital in New Jersey, Valastro underwent emergency surgery on Sunday to remove the impaled rod, the spokesperson said.
Another emergency surgery was performed by a renowned orthopedic surgeon at the Hospital for Special Surgery in Manhattan.
Valastro has since taken to social media with a post-surgery photo, which shows him lying in a hospital bed with his raised hand in a bandage and cast.
He capioned the snap: “I was involved in a terrible accident a few days ago… What do you think of my new accessory?”
Fellow chefs and fans have commented to wish him well, with TV cook Guga Rocha writing: “Brother take care, hope you will be 100% soon. Send you lots of good vibes.”
Celeb chef Emeril Lagasse said: “Get better quick my friend!”
A fan also wrote: “Oh no!! Wishing you a speedy recovery! Someone better be in there to spoon feed you some cake!”
Valastro is known for his extravagant and elaborate cake designs, so here’s hoping his hand fully recovers and that he can get back in the kitchen soon.