Furious salon owner ‘jails’ police, ECG officials over illegal connection


A 28-year-old hairdressing salon operator at Amakom in Kumasi, Akwasi Asiamah lands in police custody after forcefully locking up police officer and the Electricity Company of Ghana (ECG) official in his salon.

As gathered by GhanaTalksRadio, he is said to have taken the law into his own hands after the police, ECG attempted to arrest him for owing GH¢7,000 and carrying out illegal power connection.

According to the acting General Manager of Public Relations and Communications for the Ashanti Strategic Business Unit of the ECG, Mr Erasmus Kyere Baidoo, he revealed that on 9th of January, 2021, the ECG officials were deployed to his ‘On Point Salon’ at Amakom. Amid inspection, the officials discovered that the suspect, Mr Asiamah had tapped into a single-phase energy metre in other to power his salon.

It was further detected that the suspect had illegally consumed power for a period of 12 months which sums up to GH¢7486.56 (6792 Kwh) and was billed accordingly.

According to Mr Baidoo, following several warnings, suspect failed to clear up his bills. The ECG, police therefore visited his salon on February 2, 2021, only to find out that Mr Asiamah had illegally tapped power from a nearby shop for a second time.

The ECG officials confronted and threatened the suspect with an arrest.

“However, Mr Asiamah who was angered by the attempt of the police and the personnel from ECG to arrest him, got out of the salon and used two big padlocks to lock them in the salon and left the scene”, Mr Baidoo said.

Mr Baidoo further noted that when the suspect locked up his salon, he then went to the Asokwa Police Station to report that some robbers had attacked him at his shop, he then tendered the number of the police CID, who was part of the team as a suspect.

“When the number was called, the officer identified himself and asked that Asiamah be detained. Asiamah was later transferred from the Asokwa Police Station to the Kumasi Central Police,” Mr Baidoo said.

Mr Baidoo further noted that the locked up ECG officials and the police officer had to call for help and waited until rescue finally arrived.