Ampesi is a traditional meal in Ghana and it’s prepared with boiled yam, plantain cocoyam, cassava or mixture of these and stew, thick groundnut or palm-nut soup. This dish contains essential nutrients that helps the body to grow and fight diseases.
- Palm oil
- Salted tilapia
- Smoked herring
- Cocoyam leaves(kontomire)
- Wash and peel plantain and put into a sauce pan.
- Wash kontomire with salty water. Cut stalks off and add to the plantain in pan. Add water enough to boil. Add salt. Put on fire to boil.
- Wash onions, tomatoes, garlic, ginger and pepper. Cut all except pepper into pieces and grind in and earthen ware bowl.
- Grill salted tilapia. Add to the content of the earthen ware bowl and grind.
- Taste to see if salt from the tilapia is enough. If not enough add a little. Put that aside.
- Check to see if plantain is cooked. Take off fire and drain out stock. Put plantain into a good flask so it doesn't get cold.
- Add the kontomire to the content of the earthen ware bowl. Grind to mix.
- Wash smoked herrings. Remove scales and bones. Break into pieces and add to stew in earthen ware bowl.
- Put a little palm oil on fire to heat up a bit. Pour hot palm oil into earthen ware bowl and stir to get a complete mix.
- Bring plantain out if flask and serve in a plate or bowl. You can choose to eat the stew from the earthenware or dish on to a plate.
- Food is served. Enjoy your meal
10 Benefits of kontomire
- Kontomire is the best diet for reducing cholesterol, it has no cholesterol and only 1% of total fat.
- Prevention of cancer(kontomire is rich in vitamin C which acts as an antioxidant that fights free radicals that causes cancer and prevents many diseases)
- Prevents anemia
- Control the blood pressure
- Boosts immune system
- Enhance memory and mood
- Reduce wrinkle on the skin
- Help in weight loss
- Promote the bone and skin healing
- Healthy eyes