Tyson Fury looks to escape third Deontay Wilder fight

0
71

Tyson Fury claims his trilogy fight with Deontay Wilder will not happen, so he plans to fight a different opponent in the UK later this year instead.

WBC heavyweight champion Fury was contracted to a third clash with Wilder, targeted for December 19 in Las Vegas, but a lack of confirmation means he wants to go in another direction.

Fury has agreed financial terms to two fights with IBF, WBA and WBO champion Anthony Joshua for 2021 – but first wants to fight before the end of 2020.

“Wilder and his team were messing around with the date,” Fury told The Athletic.

“Then they asked me if I would agree to push it to December. I agreed to December 19.

“Then they tried to change the date again into next year. I’ve been training. I’m ready.

“When they tried moving off December 19 and pushing to next year, enough was enough. I’ve moved on.”

Wilder lost his world title and long undefeated run in his second fight with Fury earlier this year.

Reports of their third meeting being cancelled were shot down by Wilder’s co-manager Shelly Finkel, who told Sky Sports on Saturday: “They are wrong, we will fight in December.”

Fury’s US-based promoter Bob Arum previously claimed to ESPN that the third fight with Wilder would be pushed back into next year.

But Sugarhill Steward, Fury’s trainer, told Sky Sports that they were desperate to return to the ring before the end of 2020.

Steward said: “I would like Tyson to fight, PERIOD!

“If a fight can be made for Tyson this year then let’s have at it.”